Sunday, September 6, 2009

It's Hard to Say Goodbye

One of the interesting things I’ve found about living in my RV and traveling to various places to work for short periods of time is the necessity (and now the ability) to make good friends easily and quickly. I didn’t use to be able to do that. Not any longer, though. And that’s what makes it so hard sometimes when those friends leave after a short time.


I’ve been working with Val and George at Amazon for almost two weeks. They’re wonderful people and lots of fun to be with. They taught several of us how to play the domino game, Mexican Train, and I even won once. George is 80 years old and a real sweetheart – with a heart of gold. The work we’ve been doing isn’t hard, but it is very physically demanding, especially ten-hour shifts in the middle of the night. He hasn’t complained, but it was easy to see he was getting very tired. Heck, I’m almost twenty years younger and had a hard time.


When Val came over this afternoon to give me some “bad news,” I pretty much figured what it was. But, it wasn't exactly for the reason I thought. They need to leave tomorrow because George’s only remaining brother, of seven children, died yesterday at age 90. It’s hard to see them go after such a short time, but real-life comes first, ahead of Amazon. I wish you both well, Val and George, and will miss you both very much. Safe travels.

No comments: