Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Cookie Lady



While volunteering at A Third Place Community Center in Turley, Oklahoma last year, I became known as "The Cookie Lady." Simple enough--every time I drove the 35 miles down there from Bartlesville, OK, I took along a supply of homemade cookies. They disappeared quickly and people started expecting them. And, who was I to disappoint such wonderful people! Of course, that's when I was living in a small house and had the use of a regular oven and even a bit of counter space. 

Remembering how much people appreciated those cookies, I started making them for the night front desk people at Parry Lodge here in Kanab, Utah. This time it's a little more difficult because the RV I'm living in doesn't have an oven nor counter space. I use the toaster oven and shuffle things around a bit in order to get enough room to make the cookies, and it works. Just takes a little patience. I've also started taking them on the nights I need to show the Western movies in the hotel coffee shop instead of in the barn, figuring since we can't have popcorn, soft drinks, or ice cream, at least people can have cookies, coffee, and ice water. After all, who ever watches a movie without something to nibble on?

The most popular ones are the Oatmeal/Raisin/Chocolate Chip cookies, followed by regular Toll House cookies. I even found a great recipe for gluten-free oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies for a friend. 

Ingredients are the key. I use real butter, fresh and unsalted, that I've found at The Dairy Store in Colorado City, AZ, a short drive through the desert on the way to Hurricane or St. George, Utah. That makes a mediocre cookie into an excellent one. We're lucky here because we can order really fresh eggs from a friend. Those also make a huge difference. And I always wonder, why bother using fake chocolate chips when real ones taste so wonderful?

Of course, it's so hard not to chow down on the cookie dough or the finished cookies. I haven't figured out a good way to handle that problem except willpower. Unfortunately, that's sometimes in short supply!

5 comments:

Karen said...

You make the BEST cookies! At least I know the gluten free ones are great!

spiritualastronomer said...

Thanks, Karen. And I've still got a whole lot of the ingredients left, whenever you'd like some more.

Yarntangler said...

I knew a lady in Washington who baked a big plate of chocolate chip cookies for the firemen at a small sub station every week. After about 3 years the unthinkable happened and those guys got to her house in order to save most of it. Imagine the smile that covered her face when one of the firemen carried her cookie tins out to the front yard.

Cookie Ladies are the best.

spiritualastronomer said...

Eunice at the Lodge is going to make me some of her famous fudge. Hmmm--did I say something about willpower? LOL!

Anniesantiago said...

Hahaha! We're kindred spirits! I just finished making a plate of Tollhouse Cookies!

I'd better find a good hiking spot before they settle on my hips too long!