Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blythe Intaglios - Blythe, CA

Ever since I began staying here, I've wanted to go check out the Intaglios http://www.nuggetwranglers.com/blythe_intaglios.htm

So, today I did. Would love to see them from the air, but for now I was satisfied with a nice walk in the desert.

Three signs pointing the way, the first one is the oldest.

Image
Image
Image

Ever since I first saw stacked rocks in Canada, I've loved finding them. These are quite simple - just a rock or two on each fence post - but I loved them. So, if rocks aren't your thing, please feel free to skip ahead. I added some here and there as there were plenty on the road to choose from.

Image
Image
Image

I added the top ones:
Image
Image

Since Blythe is in the Colorado River Valley (or Palo Verde Valley), lots of water is used for this green farm area.
Image

A couple of mountain views. I first thought the lines on the hill in the second picture might have been intaglios. However, they're off-road vehicle tracks. At least the intaglio area is completely fenced off to vehicles.
Image
Image

The first human figure, which is in a fenced-off area up the hill. A nice walk on a beautiful day.
Image
Image
Image

Second human figure, down the hill. This one isn't as well preserved as the first.
Image
Image

Near the second human figure was a fenced-off area for the animal and coiled figure. However, I had a hard time getting a decent picture as the sun was in the wrong place and the figures weren't very visible.

Well worth the 15-mile drive north on Hwy 95.

No comments: