Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Time to Stop Stalling

Okay, it took the NoBloPoMo challenge to get me to start posting to this blog again, but I'm going to try my best to write something each day this month. I understand this month's topic is "Growing Up, " so I'll start with a little experience that took place at the San Diego Airport yesterday morning at 6:30 a.m., really too early for anything.

It was the first time I’ve been almost made to feel like a crook for trying to use cash to check baggage. Because I was bringing back a full suitcase of my own containing clothing for two different climates: Portland, Oregon and San Diego, as well as another case full of Focus Knobs for a friend's online business, I needed to check the bags. After standing in line for ten minutes at the outside check-in area for United Airlines – no signs posted letting people know they only accepted debit or credit cards – I got to the head of that line. They got as far as labeling the suitcases before finally informing me they didn’t take cash. There was no way I was going to put what I considered an exorbitant amount to check baggage on my credit card. So, I had to go inside and stand in a much longer line. Got to the head of the line and an employee motioned me to a check-in machine. When I told her I was only checking bags, she told me I needed to use the machine for that. So, I took care of that, up to the end when it asked me to insert my card. Geesh. I had to find someone to let them know I was paying with cash. She looked kind of flustered and had to go find someone else. Finally told me I had to go to a particular clerk. I put the bags on the baggage spot and waited. She finally told me I could use the machine. I told her I had already tried that but was paying with cash. She then did her thing. So, after twenty minutes of stupidity, I now was free to stand in ANOTHER line, this time without my shoes or jacket, with the laptop case open, with my small container of lotion out of my purse and the purse placed flat in the plastic bin. It was so much fun. Remind me again why people continue to fly.

How does this relate to growing up? Perhaps I should have let the first clerk inside know I had been sent inside so I could pay cash to check my bags. That might have saved all of us a little hassle. Growing up at age 62 is interesting, though, especially when some things just seem so stupid. Patience, Chris, patience.

6 comments:

Old Newsie said...

Well, Chris - now you're all growed up about cash and credit cards !!

But try to use a credit card in any line at Seatac - They old wanted CASH from me last May!

spiritualastronomer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spiritualastronomer said...

Funny thing is, if you take a chance and do the carry on thing, and then the flight is full and they only allow two carry-ons (like a laptop and bag - I also had a purse) they'll check your extra bag for free. It happened three times on my trip. Something to keep in mind.

Yarntangler said...

So what are Focus Knobs?

Yarntangler said...

remember they only advertise Friendly SKYS not friendly airports!

spiritualastronomer said...

Focus Knobs are replacement knobs for telescope focusers. They replace the cheap plastic ones manufacturers use. Here's Lou's website with pictures, etc.
http://www.focusknobs.com/