Monday, June 1, 2009

Hero for June 1 - Manufacturer of Plastic Bed Risers


The NaBloPoMo topic for the month of June is heroes. Rather than try to come up with popular and famous people, I decided to write about everyday heroes, people or even companies who have done what I consider heroic things.

Here are the Merriam Webster online definitions for hero; my definition will include women as well as men.

1 a: a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability

b
: an illustrious warrior

c
: a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities

d: one that shows great courage

2 a
: the principal male character in a literary or dramatic work

b: the central figure in an event, period, or movement

Looking at those definitions, right away I realized my hero for today really doesn't fit in any of those categories. So, I'll make my own.

Today's heroes are the companies that make plastic bed risers. When I moved into this partially furnished house, the old foam mattress on one of the beds had to go. It was over 30 years old and falling apart. However, the box spring was still in pretty good shape. So, I ordered a 4-inch Memory Foam Mattress topper from Overstock.com and stuck it on top of the box spring. Very comfortable. But, the bed was rather low; I'd removed the casters from the fram
e since one of them was broken. So, I bought four plastic bed risers from Wally's World to raise the bed, and they've worked beautifully. I read some online reviews of these things, and some people were not satisfied with them, claiming they broke or fell over. Perhaps I'm having such good luck because the bed is only full-size, not queen or king. When I'm rich and famous, one of my first purchases will be an actual bed for this room. However, for now I'm satisfied.

Next, while doing my best imitation of a couch potato last night, I realized why I haven't used the living room sofa very much. It also came with the house, but it's just too low. I've put up with it so far because, with the cold weather, I spent a lot of time upstairs where it was warmer. However, now it's hot, and downstairs is much, much cooler.

This morning I removed the bed risers from the bed and tried them out on the couch. Ah, just right. The legs on the couch are sturdy wood and wide enough to fit into the recessed tops of the risers. And now I can sit down without having to rub my chin with my knees. We'll see if I need to put some kind of support in the center. For now, it's fine.

Now it's time to go get another set of risers for the bed. Someday I'll get all this worked out.

Chris




No comments: