Sunday, May 10, 2009

Viruses and Trojans

This is going to be a short post because I'm getting a little computer shy tonight. I attempted to open a video from a trusted friend on Facebook earlier that turned out to be a Trojan virus. It promptly sent out links, in my name, to an x-rated video. The thing keeps reproducing itself. Luckily my McAfee Virus Scan program picked it up immediately and deleted it. Just to be sure, I also ran a SpyDoctor scan which also deleted it. Not sure what was happeneing there, though. Perhaps two viruses? I immediately contaced my Facebook friends by email as well as with a message, letting them know about it and asking them not to open any attachments purporting to be from me. I received a message from my friend, letting me know that the same had happened to her, that the video wasn't from her. Didn't figure it was, but the darned thing looked very legitimate.

I hate these things because they leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths and they're just hard as heck to get rid of. I'm still getting notifications that McAfee is picking up and deleting more fake messages. A note: those messages are only when using Internet Explorer, which I've been having to do for email lately. I've had absolutely no problem with Mozilla Firefox, which is my preferred browser. I'm thinking of going back to using my Yahoo email account in order to avoid any more Internet Explorer problems. Just need to figure out how to do it.

Sorry for the rant, but taking care of this has just taken up a t least an hour or so of my time and just pisses me off.

Chris

No comments: