Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Slab City and Salvation Mountain, Niland, CA

Today Beth, Jean, and I decided to check out Slab City and Salvation Mountain, out near the Salton Sea by Niland, CA. Here are just a few of my pictures from Salvation Mountain as well as some of Jean's. Tomorrow I'll post lots of pictures from wanderings around Slab City itself. I love this place.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 8cec5d6d4f

Again, you don't need to be a member of Facebook to check out the pictures.

Today we've seen two opposite ways of life out here in the desert: Slab City, which is boondocking at its most interesting and creative, and the Fountain of Youth RV Resort several miles down the road, with its approx. 850-1000 full hookup sites, restaurant, grocery store, six spas, pool, etc., and at least a full single-spaced page of daily activities. I visited with friends Pete and Rebecca, my neighbors and work buddies at Amazon in Coffeyville, Kansas this year. But, I guess I'm kind of weird. I much prefer Slab City.

Dinner in Jean's trailer tonight was so much fun!!! Interesting and funny stories - I cracked up. :lol: :lol:

We circled the wagons. I'm in red by myr rig. Jean is what she calls the purple blob.
Image

Then we walked over to Salvation Mountain
Image

Leonard, the builder, took us on a tour. This is inside the mountain.
Image

You climb the yellow brick road to the top of the mountain.
Image

It got pretty steep at the top
Image

No comments: